[tex-live] Adding a font map? (I want to install URW Arial font).

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Oct 19 22:51:41 CEST 2007

Mark London writes:
 > Martin Schröder <martin <at> oneiros.de> writes:

 >> Btw: Are you sure you see the difference betwen URL Arial and TeX
 >> Gyre Heros?

 > Unfortunately, they want Arial, as only certain fonts are
 > recommended to be used in a document they are submitting to a
 > specific government agency.  Probably something close is good
 > enough though, but it's not up to me. :) -

If you only need support for English (you only need ASCII), and if they
insist on Arial, the most obvious solution is to switch to Vietnamese.
Make sure that you have support for Vietnamese installed (TeX Live
package vntex) and that the variable OSFONTDIR in
texmf-var/web2c/texmf.cnf points to c:/windows/fonts.  You need pdftex
then because dvips can't use TTF.

  http://vntex.sourceforge.net/fonts/samples/mscore-test.pdf
  http://vntex.sourceforge.net/fonts/samples/mscore-sample.pdf

or simply