[tex-live] context

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:29:54 CEST 2007

On 10/14/07, Robert Elsner <robert at re-factory.de> wrote:

> I appreciate all your hard work on TexLive. But I noticed that the
> context you are shipping is pretty dated (2005). Any plans to upgrade to
> a more recent version? I would like to see it incorporated.

You don't mention a platform.  On debian linux, context is packaged
separately.  On Windows, MiKTeX provides updates and may be a
better choice than TL.

Others have explained that TL uses the current stable version of ConTeXt
at the time of release, but it is probably worth mentioning that the design
of TL makes it quite easy to add and remove entire texmf trees, so as long
as the binaries are "new enough", you can create a local texmf-context
and unpack the cont-tmf.zip there, add the new tree to your texmf.cnf,
update the ls-R file, generate new formats, and you are off.  You don't
have to remove the old ConTeXt files from the texmf-dist tree if you
put the new directory earlier in the TEXMF list.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia