[tex-live] post build of source.tar.bz2 (updmap-sys and kpsewhich)

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu May 31 15:19:54 CEST 2007

"Edd Barrett" <vext01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 31/05/07, Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> wrote:
>> "Edd Barrett" <vext01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm porting TeXLive to OpenBSD. I'm conforming to the OpenBSD
>> > directory stucture (or rather, just copying how someone before me
>> > ported teTeX).
>>
>> And the OpenBSD directory structure requires that a port (or however a
>> custom-prepared installation of some software is called) installs into
>> /usr/local?  That seems odd.
>
> It does not "require". It is just a convention that we use. For base
> distribution applictaions the prefix /usr is used. For third party
> apps we use the prefix /usr/local. Its whatever you are used to. I
> wouldn't consider this odd. You should see some of the paths solaris
> uses!

It does indeed look odd if you're used to a Linux perspective: Linux is
either nothing but a kernel, or a particular distribution.  Therefore,
anything that is available through the distribution-specific
infrastructure (i.e., as rpm or deb package on the official mirrors)
goes to /usr, and only local of individual admins installs go to
/usr/local.

But I see the difference now.

> This makes sense. It also sounds like a right royal pain. I reckon
> thats going to take a long time (correct me if I am wrong, I haven't
> yet taken a look at this config file)

You could run --syncwithtrees once and use the generated updmap.cfg.  Or
use more complicated approaches (which allow for easy adding of
third-party fonts) like our update-updmap stuff in Debian.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)