[tex-live] Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation)

Oliver Bandel oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Fri May 25 09:48:06 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 11:06:51PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > CAN WE PLEASE STOP THIS USELESS META DISCUSSION?????
>
> I find this discussion quite amusing.  I did not expect such a huge
> discussion when I said that I'm happy with the shell script we
> currently have.
>
> Regarding quoting of file names:  You have to be careful in Perl too.
[...]

The user does not create names from within Perl.
He works on the shell or with a GUI.

So the working environment in use is what we discuss about.

But when you have read in a name in Perl or in C via Unix-API
then you have it fixed in a string. That was, what I meant.
Then normally this will not be touched again. You work with
the string operations you have at hand, and so there is no
escaping/quoting problem.

If the filenames will be passed through shells again and again
instead, nested levels of quoting/escqping are needed.

This is the diffrence I spoke about.

If you have the name caught in a string or variable,
best choice is, to work with it directly, not to pass it around
to a shell or many shells.

So in this respect the shells are making the problem what we talked
about.

>   > But anyway, I have already written the Perl modules.
>
> Great!  I also think that Perl is the best choice.  It's good that you
> made this decision.

Even if I would prefer OCaml in general, as there now already is
running Perl code, I jump in there.
And Perl is a good choice for such tasks.

> #!/bin/sh
> while true; do
>   echo "thank you!"
> done