[tex-live] The suggestions (from tex-d-l) (Re: Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation))

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed May 23 17:57:46 CEST 2007

"Kaja P. Christiansen" <kaja at daimi.au.dk> wrote:

> Oliver Bandel wrote:
>
>  > Maybe also mechanical problems of the DVD....
>  > ...so that maybe read-errors occur and the drive was slowed down?!
>  >
>  > I inserted the DVD to my Powerbook. It made a lot of sound.
>  > Even when not reading from the DVD, it made a lot of sound,
>  > and I think the DVD touches the drive and scratches around.
>  >
>  > This might be another problem.
>
> and Frank Küster replied:
>
>  > In other words, we might be spending valuable time and thinking-energy
>  > on a problem that was caused by broken hardware.
>
> 'broken hardware'? I don't install TL from DVD, but wanted to have a look
> at what's on and inserted it in the drive (HW: OptiPlex 745, SW: FC6).
> The drive made so much unhealthy noise that I assumed it was broken to begin
> with and asked hardware lab to check it. We run several tests. Conclusions:
> among all DVDs in my office (including Collection 2005), only 2007 DVDs
> (I have two) made the drive madly noisy.

That's still broken hardware - the DVD isn't software after all, but
this thread was about improving software.

However, if it is true that the TL 2007 is pressed on foul media, that's
something that should be really investigated.  We should make sure that
it won't happen again, and maybe there's even a clause in the contract
which would allow to pay less.

So, how should we check this?  Not everyone has a hardware lab, but if
everyone on the list inserts DVDs, listens closely and indeed finds that
TL sounds bad, we have at least an indication.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)