[tex-live] The suggestions (from tex-d-l) (Re: Comment on Re: TeXLive-CD/DVD (Installation))

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 23 14:42:51 CEST 2007

Oliver Bandel wrote:
> On that day (night) I installed a debian (via netinstaller-CD)
> for a friend. It took a while, but not very long.
> After I installed some additional programs he wanted to have,
> I said, he needs TeX also, it's an absolute MUST-HAVE.

if it was a Debian, the first call should
be the texlive Debian packages, surely?
which do the job just perfectly. Why bother with the DVD?
> In the README there was no warning.

thats a fair point, I agree.

but I think the point is that installing from DVD should be a
last resource. Better to do a net install using Debian
packages, or a Subversion checkout if you're a source person.

me, I never do an install at all. I just keep the checkout
from Subversion up to date, set my PATH accordingly,
and it just works.

--
Sebastian Rahtz