[tex-live] Installing TL breaks Ubuntu

Peter Heslin p.j.heslin at durham.ac.uk
Tue May 15 12:44:03 CEST 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 05:16:57PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> TL just supplies the Texinfo install-info in the bin directories, like
> all the other Texinfo programs.  If that's bad for some distributions,
> they are free to remove it in their packaging, of course.  (Personally
> it's not clear to me that Texinfo itself is really useful as part of TL,
> but other people apparently like to have it there.)

Thanks for explaining.  I can understand the usefulness of installing
stuff like the LaTeX info pages (a handy reference), and I can also
understand that people might expect to be able to compile their
texinfo documents into printable form using TL, but I found it
confusing that the info viewer and install-info and such are installed
by TL, since they belong (in my mind) to the non-TeX side of texinfo.
That's what caught me by surprise.

When I discovered that TL installed a new install-info, at first I
assumed that this was only for the purpose of installing the
TeX-related info pages, which is why I suggested that it need not go
into the PATH.

Best wishes,

Peter