[tex-live] How to handle interdependencies of collections

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Wed May 9 19:55:22 CEST 2007

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> That sounds reasonable in general, if you want to make a general
> statement.  Other possibilities would be to move acronym to
> humanities, or bigfoot to latexextra.  I don't have strong feelings
> about it.

Where is bigfoot now?  It consists of "perpage.sty", a way of
numbering footnotes and other counters per page (also called upon by
some other packages), suffix.sty for defining command variants, and
bigfoot.sty which makes \verb work in footnotes, provides for nicer
para-style footnotes with sane page size calculations, fixes the color
stack across footnotes and fixes some really awful TeX and LaTeX page
break decisions in connection with footnotes broken across lines.

None of that is specific to humanities at all.  bigfoot also has the
required power to sensibly work with several layers of footnotes in
different styles (which _is_ interesting to humanities), but that it
_can_ do the really contorted stuff right does not change that there
are few other options to actually get the _simple_ stuff with
footnotes right.