[tex-live] TeXLive2007: Bug in (Xe)TeX for 64bit and big endianess

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Wed May 9 13:54:48 CEST 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:08:38PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> George N. White III wrote:
> >
> >TeX Live needs to accommodate the needs of distributors so it can be the
> >successor to teTeX.  Standards for robustness and reliability are higher
> >today
> >because you have more systems where TeX is used as part of the build
> >process
> >for complex systems where the coders may never actually use TeX directly.
>
> In my opinion, Linux (re)distributors patching an upstream package to
> use a different subsystem from the one it is shipped with, should never
> have happened. That is not ' applying security fixes', it is 'forking'.

Hmmm ... does this mean that (re)distributors should not use the
configure options to use system libraries instead of the provided
within source.tar.bz2? Hopefully not ;)

Beside this patches to get the stuff fit into main system should
be also allowed to avoid violation of the LSB due the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard restrictions ...  and at least applying patches
for e.g. CVE-2007-0104 for xpdf should be also allowed[1].

       Werner

[1] Was there a fixed version of source.tar.bz2 for e.g. CVE-2007-0104?