[tex-live] TeXLive2007: Bug in (Xe)TeX for 64bit and big endianess

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 9 11:33:55 CEST 2007

Frank � wrote:
> So we're left with fixing the bugs, but that is, unfortunately, *not*
> just a question of taking the xpdf patch, applying it to the sources and
> recompiling the packages.  That would be relatively easy and per se not
> a reason for a switch to poppler.  The real problem is that in almost
> all cases, the published patch does not apply because the copies of xpdf
> in pdftex, pdftohtml, cups, forgotwhat all have slightly different
> versions.  Plus we need to support our stable distribution, which meant
> patching xpdf 1.x, 2.x and 3.x at some point in Debian (with sometimes
> two or more different values for each x).

since pdftex is rather monolithic, updating a statically bound pdftex is
also an option; xpdf bugs are fixed in the repos and so pdftex has the
fixes; since tex users need to update pdftex regularly anyway (because
of other fixes) this no big burden on the user.

> This is totally unrelated, because patches to the xpdf sources in Debian
> have exactly zero effect on pdftex, no matter whether it uses its own
> xpdf copy or libpoppler.

hm, but isn't pdftex using its own patched copy of xpdf then? after all,
it's supposed to be in the pdftex source tree

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE