[tex-live] TeXLive2007: Bug in (Xe)TeX for 64bit and big endianess

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue May 8 20:46:30 CEST 2007

Karl Berry wrote:
> Is there some technical advantage of poppler?  A priori, why wouldn't
> you expect just as many security problems in poppler as xpdf?  My
> experience is that the xpdf author is very responsive, so I am surprised
> to hear of you not wanting to use it
since pdftex is supposed to behave consistently cross platform (same tex
engine as well as pdf generation/inclusion behaviour), xpdf is the
official pdf library used in pdftex (and luatex);

i share your observation with regards to responsiveness

of course one could use whatever library one wants but that's up to the
responsibility of the distributer and not of the team; if it does not
spoil the code base, multiple libraries can be supported, but as said,
the de facto standard pdf lib is the xpdf one
> .
>
> Not that I'm opposed to supporting both, of course, just seem like a
> priority IMHO.
>
> Of course, the question of using the system version is independent of what is used.
> You'll have to compile your own and avoid the static linking
> which we absolutely do want for the distributed TL binaries.

we already had reports of users unable to compile pdftex because of dependencies of poppler (and no xpdf source being shipped) which imo is a bad omen

anyhow, with regards to pdftex/luatex dev, the relevant library code is (to be) part of the source tree so that users can compile the standard distribution themselves

(btw, i wonder how serious security issues are with respect to the used libraries - we use only part of xpdf)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE