[tex-live] [dev-context] Debian TeX -- new packages

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 30 16:21:35 CEST 2007

[Using Ubuntu 6.10/i386]

I couldn't apply (without rejected hunks) the Ubuntu poppler patch at
<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=356079> to the
Debian texlive-2007-1 source.  So I just removed
debian/patches/30_libpoppler from the patch series, returning to using
the xpdf sources that ship with pdftex.  Then the texlive-2007 src pkg
compiled into the many .deb's and these binary pkgs installed fine.
They use libpng-1.2.8 and libc6-2.4.

I then could upgrade to your latest context pkg (2007.03.19) and test
it.  As its stress test, it processed my textbook fine.

The only glitches I've noticed so far:

* installing the pkgs removed dvipdfmx but I haven't figured out the
  reason.  It may be Ubuntu-specific.

* dvipos isn't included in any binary packages, although it gets built
  when creating them:

    $ pwd
    /var/tmp/tlrebuild/texlive-bin-2007
    $ find -name dvipos
    ./build/source/texk/dvipos
    ./build/source/inst/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/dvipos
    ./build/source/Work/texk/dvipos
    ./build/source/Work/texk/dvipos/dvipos
    ./bin/i386-linux/dvipos

  I couldn't figure out where the package-splitting information lives,
  in order that dpkg-buildpackage knows dvipos belongs to a particular
  binary package.

  Maybe because there's no tpm file for it, and the tpm's are turned
  into magic Debian files, so dvipos gets left out?

Multiple binary pkgs from one source pkg is one the the deeper
mysteries of Debian packaging, well understood by maintainers of
complex packages (like texlive or tetex) but not documented elsewhere.
But I'm happy to learn how that works!

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)