[tex-live] No room for a new \write

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sat Mar 17 12:58:50 CET 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> I don't think I have ever seen an example where there was a serious
> need for more than 16 read or write allocators. I would like to see an
> actual example of a document with no programming errors and with no
> excessively sloppy handling of resources that still needs more than
> 16 distinct read or write handles (simultaneously or sequentially).
>
> I presume such a document is possible, but until I see a practical
> example, I am very reluctant to support/do a change to eTeX.

I would have to dig through the archives, but I think I remember an
example in de.comp.text.tex, and if I'm not mistaken it used a
combination of various packages, one of which writes one file per
chapter for chapterwise TOC, LOF, LOT.  4 chapters with three such files
each gives already 12 files (sequentially), plus say an index, aux, log,
out, ...

Regards, Frank

--
Dr. Frank Küster