[tex-live] SVN repo by rsync?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Fri Mar 16 22:53:42 CET 2007

>>>>> "Karl" == Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> writes:

Karl> It didn't occur to me that it would be useful.  I don't see any
Karl> particular problem with doing so, but is it more efficient than svn
Karl> itself, if you want all the history anyway?

Yes, if you want the history it is vastly more efficient that using
svn.  (My last test of svk on a large repo -- even from a site which
had more bandwidth to the location of the repo than either box had
bandwidth to their disks -- took at least 20 times as long as an rsync
would have taken -- based on rsyncs of other repos, such as those at
berlios or sf.)

Personally I'd probably grab a little at a time, but the structure of
the repo and rsync's habit of sending file sorted by name means you
first get all of the revprops dir before the revs dir, so it tends to
work well.  And once a mirror is done, updates are, I find, efficient
even over a modem.

-JimC