[tex-live] documentation

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Fri Mar 16 10:02:49 CET 2007

Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:19:36AM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> It's a bit tricky in some cases, though, namely when there's more than
>> one file of documentation.  For example, Heiko has explicitly refused to
>> rename hyperref's manual.pdf to hyperref.pdf,
>
> Of course I could delete the source hyperref.dtx. Then
> the name "hyperref.pdf" would be free and manual.pdf
> could be renamed.
>
> But it is a little difficult to maintain hyperref without source.

;-)

> Thus hyperref.pdf already exists and if you look into it you
> will find pointers to the other hyperref documentation files
> on the first page. Thus it is quite easy to find manual.pdf
> using "texdoc hyperref".

Indeed, I wasn't up-to-date.  When we discussed this last time, I was
referring to teTeX 3.0, which didn't have hyperref.pdf at all.  I
haven't looked into hyperref's documentation since I use TeXLive (I only
used features I have always been using), so I didn't notice all the
cross-references.

>> I fear we have to live with that and should not use aliases to work
>> around it.
>
> texdoc could present a menu of some kind with several entries,
> if a package has several documentation files.

That's a good idea.  Again, it could either be implemented by
maintaining a database as texdoctk does, or alternatively it could check
whether there is a directory that has the same name as the argument that
it was given, and if yes present a list of all files in that directory.

Is there a kpsewhich call that gives directories?  Alternatively,

could be used for comparison - at least on systems that have a "sed", I
have no idea how texdoc works on Windows.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)