[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Mar 10 12:15:30 CET 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> I think it makes no sense to design a user interface that makes
>> dealing with a single program on a single platform easier.  If we want
>
> Please recall that this whole thing started with a Linux user having
> file permission problems.

Not for dvi/pdf files, and not because of file locking but because of
static file permissions.  I see little sense in making the
_application_ wrap every file access in abort/retry/ignore dialogs:
bad permissions are _not_ a part of the normal use patterns.

Again: I don't think we should let the Acrobat/Windows problem dictate
our strategy for dealing with I/O errors in general: the Acrobat
problem is so special that _if_ we want to cater for it, it is
reasonable to do this with a solution _specifically_ catering to the
Acrobat problem rather than making the behavior just somewhat less
painful by changing the semantics for everything.

That would presumably also allow to introduce close/reopen semantics
on platforms like GNU/Linux where we don't actually have a locking
problem but it still might be nice to have Acrobat refreshed
automatically.