[tex-live] Bug in TexLive 2005 and 2007? Non-writable aux-file

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Mar 10 11:58:56 CET 2007

Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> This is basically a single application on a single operating system
>> phenomenon (Acrobat reader on Windows).
>
> Near everybody in the real world out there uses Windows (either
> by choice or because of policy decisions), and almost all of those
> users use Acrobat reader to look at PDFs.
>
> The Reader is a badly designed program, but unless you know of an
> alternative that can display PDFs with the same quality and same
> extensive feature set, we are stuck with it.

I think it makes no sense to design a user interface that makes
dealing with a single program on a single platform easier.  If we want
to accommodate a single program, the solution is to use the DDC (or
whatever they are called) interfaces to the _program_ and close and
reopen the viewed file automatically, rather than redesigning the
interface to the human because of that single-use case and pretend
that it is a generally sane approach.