[tex-live] TeX Live on NetBSD: first steps

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jun 16 01:24:04 CEST 2007

Jukka Salmi writes:

 > $ PATH=/b/tmp/jukka/texlive/2007.bin/bin/i386-netbsd:$PATH
 > $ texconfig init
 > tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not found.
 > fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
 >
 > Hmm, but these files are there:
 >
 > $ cd /b/tmp/jukka/texlive/2007.bin
 > $ find . -name tcfmgr.map -o -name fmtutil.cnf
 > ./texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
 > ./texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
 > ./texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr.map

I'm clueless.  Though I don't think that you have to recreate the ls-R
databases, it doesn't hurt to run texhash.

If nobody else has a better idea I fear that you have to find out
where texconfig looks for files.  You can use strace if it is
available for your system.  texconfig uses kpsewhich in order to
determine the search paths.  You could try to run texconfig or
kpsewhich with some environment variables set for debugging as
described in section 2.6.3 of texmf/doc/info/kpathsea.info .

 > > By the way, would you be interested in supplying netbsd binaries in the
 > > next release?
 >
 > Sure, I could do this. But IMHO NetBSD users would appreciate it more
 > if there was a [1]pkgsrc package available to build TL.

That's true.  But there are (at least) three reasons at least to
include your binaries to TeXLive:

 1. TL-2007 provides a lot of new stuff, for instance XeTeX, TikZ/pgf,
    PdfTeX had been improved significantly...  Most UNIX distributions
    still provide teTeX which is quite old.  In TL-2008 we will have
    LuaTeX but I doubt that when TL-2008 will be released, many UNIX
    distributions will provide TeXLive at all.

 2. Since TeXLive provides a live system, it would be nice to support
    as many platforms as possible.

 3. I have the impression that you are quite familiar with UNIX.  But
    modern TeX systems are extremely complex so that even you have
    problems.  It would be nice if KDE or Gnome users who never used a
    command-line interface can simply insert the DVD and run the
    installer.

Your binaries are welcome!

 > Currently only teTeX can be built using pkgsrc. If I find out how
 > to get TL working on my NetBSD box I might try to create a TL
 > pkgsrc package.

That would be nice, but be aware that TeXLive is huge.  If netbsd is
distributed on CDs/DVDs this might be a problem.  Maybe you can use
scheme-tetex:  run the installer and press "s".  scheme-tetex had been
provided by Werner Fink (SuSE).

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25