[tex-live] (TeXLive2003) dvipdfm fails to include .eps graphics file

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:02:10 CEST 2007

On 6/8/07, Vedran Miletić <rivanvx at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/6/8, Lianqing Yu <lianqing.yu at hotmail.com>:
> >
> >  Hi, I hope this is the right place I can get some help.
> >  I use TeXLive 2003 on Windows XP. latex and dvips works fine but
> > dvipdfm.exe fails to genereate a PDF file.

>From the subject I assume you think the problem is related
to a .eps file -- what evidence do you have for that?

Things to check:

1.  does dvipdfm work if you use draft mode for graphics?

This shoudl give a pdf file with boxes outlining the places
where figures will appear.

2.  can you convert the EPS to pdf using "eps2pdf ..."?

I think dvipdfm uses much the same conversion, so if this
fails, I would not exect dvipdfm to work.

3.  what does "epstool --test-eps ..." give?

Many files that have .eps extensions do not meet the
definition of a .eps file, including some created using
"name-brand" software.   Most such files can be
converted to pdf and will work with pdflatex.

4.  does dvipdfm work using a "known good" .eps file
such as golfer.eps from the ghostscript examples
directory?

If you are still having trouble after all this, please
read <www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>.
Note that the best way for us to see the problem is if you
can provide a minimal example (e.g., under a dozen lines
of latex and using an eps file that we already have, such
as golfer.eps).  To save time, here is such an example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}
\begin{document}
Example using \texttt{golfer.eps} from GhostScript.

\[
\includegraphics[width=8cm]{golfer.eps}
\]
\end{document}

tested on debian texlive 2007:
$ latex t-eps
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./t-eps.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
yphenation, loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
(/etc/texmf/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg)
(/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/dvipdfm/dvipdfm.def))) (./t-eps.aux)
<golfer.eps> [1] (./t-eps.aux) )
Output written on t-eps.dvi (1 page, 384 bytes).
Transcript written on t-eps.log.
$ dvipdfm t-eps

t-eps.dvi -> t-eps.pdf
[1(./golfer.eps<PS>)]
25673 bytes written

> Why are you using so old version?

I don't know about the OP, but many people are still using
the version of TL2003 from TLC because they never found
an acceptable replacement for emtex or Y&Y TeX or 4allTeX
(which they consider to represent a high point in the "evolution
^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hintelligent design" of TeX).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia