[tex-live] dates

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 21 02:35:10 CET 2007

  > After talking with Manfred and Klaus, it seems we need to shoot
  > for Manfred having the final images by January 27 or 28 at the
  > latest to put into production.

  > As it happens, I am going to be offline starting January 26, and
  > won't be back until January 31.

  > To have some time for testing, I'll plan on stopping package
  > updates and the auto-updating tomorrow (Sunday), and after that we
  > should only update in response to critical bugs or
  > documentation-only.  I'll create the final source tarballs then.

It's a pity that everything will be frozen now because texmf.cnf for
Windows is completely broken at the moment.  I don't know what can be
done because, though I made several suggestions, I did not get any
response from Staszek.

getnonfreefonts will definitely not work anymore because TEXMFHOME had
been removed from TEXMF.  This had been done deliberately in order to
break getnonfreefonts but I don't know whether other programs are
affected too.

Currently TeXLive-2007 is a mixture between a per-user and a
system-wide installation.  All *-sys programs had been removed but
there is still a TEXMFLOCAL directory (which is supposed to contain
files provided by an administrator) but not a TEXMFHOME (which is
supposed to contain files provided by a user).

The problem was TEXMFHOME = $HOME/texmf and that $HOME is usually not
set on Windows.

I provided a lot of suggestions how to set TEXMFHOME to something
reasonable but none of them had been acceptable for Staszek.

He preferred to remove TEXMFHOME from TEXMF for no good reason.  He
even did not reply to my mails.

It's a pity to see that things evolved like this.  I spent an enormous
amount of time to make sure TeXLive works on Windows reasonably.  But
I'm quite disappointed now and in the future I'll only care about
things I use myself.

Sorry, but I don't understand why things are broken deliberately.

Proceed as you want, I'll forward all bug reports concerning
getnbonfreefonts to Staszek.  He is the guy who broke it
***deliberately***.

In the future, if people report problems, I'll point them to MikTeX or
Akira's W32-TeX because the Windows port of TeXLive is not a
TeXLive-like system and had been broken deliberately.  People can
avoid a lot of headaches if they install something better instead.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25