[tex-live] Bad .cfg files in TeX source tree?

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jan 18 15:41:35 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:37:19PM +0100, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2007/1/18, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org>:
> >before the trees get finalized, would it be possible to make sure that
> >_no_ .cfg files get installed into the tex/latex source tree from
> >arbitrary packages?
>
> Very good idea.
>
> We have
> - ltxdoc.cfg:
> ./texmf-dist/source/latex/latex-tds/tex/ltxdoc.cfg
> ./texmf-dist/source/latex/captcont/ltxdoc.cfg
> ./texmf-dist/doc/latex/subfig/ltxdoc.cfg
> ./texmf-dist/doc/latex/subfigure/ltxdoc.cfg

All occurences are ok, because they are not below TDS:tex/
and therefore they are not part of the search path for TeX files.

> - graphics.cfg:
> ./texmf-doc/doc/english/latex-graphics-companion/inputs/graphics.cfg

ok, not below TDS:tex/

> ./texmf/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg

necessary, it implements the default driver detection.

> ./texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/graphics/graphics.cfg

It contains the addition for XeTeX. Thus I think, it is better
to update TDS:tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg.

BTW xelatex/graphics/graphics.cfg is based on an older
version of graphics.cfg with a minor bug in pdfTeX's mode
detection. And it contains a risky and obsolete part:

| % 2005/10/12 moved this here to avoid shipping modified graphics.sty
| \DeclareOption{xetex}{\def\Gin at driver{xetex.def}}

It adds restrictions on the use of graphics.cfg:
* \DeclareOption must be defined (ok for LaTeX or users of miniltx.tex).
* The package that wants to load graphics.cfg must do this at its
  option declaration part before \ProcessOptions.

It is obsolete, because graphics.sty ist already uptodate,
version 2006/02/20 v1.0o contains:
  \DeclareOption{xetex}{\def\Gin at driver{xetex.def}}

I attach an updated gracphis.cfg.

- texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/graphics/color.cfg:

Same reasoning as for graphics.cfg. I attach an updated color.cfg.

> - geometry.cfg:
> ./texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/geometry.cfg

NO, NO, NO:

        %% make geometry.sty believe this is valid
        \@ifundefined{pdfoutput}{
          \newcount\pdfoutput \pdfoutput=1
        }{}

This will fool most packages that try to detect pdfTeX.

- texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/crop.cfg

NO again much too dangerous, see geometry.cfg.

> ./texmf-dist/tex/latex/geometry/geometry.cfg

> ./texmf-dist/doc/latex/osa/optics_letters/mac/geometry.cfg
> ./texmf-dist/doc/latex/osa/optics_letters/geometry.cfg
> ./texmf-dist/doc/latex/osa/journals/geometry.cfg

ok, not below TDS:tex/

> - hyperref.cfg:
> ./texmf/tex/latex/config/hyperref.cfg

quite necessary, because this sets the default driver dvips
(unless a driver can be detected by hyperref).

BTW hyperref does not know XeTeX:

> ./texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xetexconfig/hyperref.cfg

Ok, I have now added XeTeX detection to hyperref to make this file
obsolete and will release hyperref 6.75o (probably this night).

> ./texmf-dist/source/latex/latex-tds/tex/hyperref.cfg
> ./texmf-dist/doc/latex/vhistory/hyperref.cfg

ok, not below TDS:tex/

> None of these should cause any problems, I think.

Some are.

* Attached: graphics.cfg, color.cfg
* hyperref: Update this night
* geometry and crop need updating.