[tex-live] Fwd: filename clash (upper/lower case)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 11:44:52 CET 2007

2007/1/15, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org>:
> "Zdenek Wagner" <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I like symlinks and case sensitive file systems but TeX should stay
> > patform independent.
>
> There is no such thing as "p[l]atform independent", but "lowest common
> denominator" at most, where one still has to decide which systems to
> include.  Being somewhat encompassing, this would mean 8.3 filenames
> for everything.
>
> Emacs at least tries to be 8.3-unique IIRC, and TeX probably still
> fits MSDOS better than Emacs does.

If you unzip or untar the package under MSDOS, the file names will be
shorten. If you then have \usepackage{someverylongname}, emTeX will
guess the corect name unless you have two very similar names which
will have the same short variant. But I think there are not so many
MSDOS users nowadays but there are stik OS/2 (eCS) users.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/