[tex-live] font map files?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jan 13 21:08:38 CET 2007

  > I notice that TL includes lots of *.map files under
  > Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips, but very few (just a context
  > set, basically) under Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvipdfm or
  > Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex. Is this correct?  I don't know
  > much about how font maps and the various drivers work,

The map files in Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips can be and are used
by pdftex too, but files in Master/texmf-dist/fonts/map/pdftex cannot
be used by dvips because they usually are for TrueType fonts.

There are much more files in fonts/map/dvips than in fonts/map/pdftex
because not so many TTFs are supported.

Maybe you have to run updmap[-sys] to re-create the map files for the
engines.  It prints a lot of valuable information to the screen.

  > but it seems inconsistent, and leads to warnings (at least)
  > when running ConTeXt, which wants to activate maps for particular
  > fonts on the fly;

AFAIK Context uses \pdfmapfile (I really wish that LaTeX will do the
same in the future) and if it doesn't work I suppose that the ls-R
database is not up-to-date.

  > if one uses the dvipdfm driver, for example, it still finds maps
  > from the dvips subtree, and these may result in warning messages.

This is curious.  It should read dvipdfm.map created by updmap
instead of searching the tree.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25