[tex-live] Execution time on Solaris Sparc

Jean-Pierre Chretien Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr
Wed Feb 28 12:18:57 CET 2007

Hello,

After installation of TL2007 from live, I was surprised to have
a big difference in execution time on the same documents,
as compared to TL2005; here are the data on two different examples,
one big report (288 pages) and on simple pdflatex task
(binding using pdfpages).

I compiled also from source, and the data shown are real/user.
No swap, no other intensive computing tasks.

           TL 2005       TL 2007 live     TL2007 source
latex      4.9/4.2       15.0/10.1         16.3/10.1
pdflatex   1.4/0.8       22.9/7.4          16.6/7.3

You may see that the user time is consistent between source and live,
the real time diff for the pdflatex compilation is due to a bunch of
messages about font being in
...pdftex.map): invalid entry for `grmo1000': both ps_name
and font file missing
This may be due to a missing collection at installation time
(I did two separate installations for live and source).

Between 2005 and 2007 the difference both in user and in real are quite
big, particularly for pdflatex.
The task stalls from time to time during package loading (waiting times
before the format loading and the class loading, etc).

Any clue ?

--
Jean-Pierre