[tex-live] hosting inst image

Jean-Pierre Chretien Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr
Wed Feb 28 09:24:25 CET 2007

>>Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:13:31 -0600
>>From: karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry)
>>To: Jean-Pierre.Chretien at cert.fr
>>Cc: tex-live at tug.org
>>Subject: Re: [tex-live] hosting inst image
>>
>>    Would fragmentation using jigdo help ?
>>
>>The last time someone explained jigdo to me, it seems it doesn't really
>>help for TL.  The explanation I got was that jigdo helps when there is a
>>released ISO, and then sometime later there is an updated ISO, where
>>most of the files inside are the same.  This doesn't really apply to
>>TL's more-or-less yearly release cycle.

Sure, but it allows also to download the files subdir by subdir
and to build locally the iso image: in other terms, you download files
from the original file tree; you only need to build the iso image on server side
to create what is called the template file, i.e. the structure of the iso
image to be reconstructed.

In fact, the iso image appears there as a middleware result between
native file publishing and iso image publishing, obtained
in a controlled way (md5 sums of each and every subdownload,
download recovery guaranteed in case of data link failure, etc): it's
uses a direct download of files, which is the result
if you use the iso image locally by mounting it.

To summarize, jigdo needs a server side repository of the original files,
and a temporary iso image used to build the .jigdo and .template files
(once used, it can be removed). The level of fragmentation of the jigsaw
is set by the jigdo-file command.
It could work as is for the inst CD; however if you plan to use it
for the live DVD, you will need to publish the 1.8 Go uncompressed version,
I guess, or publish compressed versions of subrirectories, to create an iso
image pf compressed data.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre