[tex-live] Kpathsea in TL2007

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Feb 20 00:25:21 CET 2007

  >> > On some *x systems you can get a complete list using a process
  >> > trace tool -- is there a similar capability for Windows?
  >>
  >> There is even a portable tool: KPATHSEA_DEBUG=4

  > You can get a Windows user to replace "pdflatex ..." with "strace
  > pdflatex ..." but there usually isn't env.exe to set environment
  > variables as in "env KPATHSEA_DEBUG=4 pdflatex ...".  On *X you
  > can rename pdftex to pdftex.bin and replace pdftex with a wrapper
  > script that sets environment variables.

I suppose that "env KPATHSEA_DEBUG=4 pdflatex ..." will not work on
Windows anyway, but you can probably write a small program/batch file
named "kdebug" which takes "pdflatex ..." as an argument and runs
pdflatex in a subshell "cmd32 -c <command>".

It behaves like "/bin/bash -c <command>".  Set KPATHSEA_DEBUG in this
subshell.  What a user has to do is to call "kdebug pdflatex ...".

Of course, kdebug should have an option which allows to pass arbitrary
values to KPATHSEA_DEBUG.

  > Cmd.exe captures stderr, but throws most of it away and doens't
  > have search.

But what we need is to write stderr to a file or pass it to a pipe
instead of printing it on screen.

  > http://www.bindview.com/Resources/RAZOR/Files/strace-0.3.zip

Thanks for the link.

  > But,

As far as I remember the tool Thomas mentioned was not strace.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25