[tex-live] Kpathsea in TL2007

Philip & Le Khanh Philip-and-LeKhanh at Royal-Tunbridge-Wells.Org
Mon Feb 19 00:39:10 CET 2007

Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> Quite easy. I do have a directory with both
> README and README.tex. But consider a TeX driver file that
> formats plain text files nicely for printing
> (e.g. listings package, ...), README cannot be processed.

Fair point.  But true only for *X systems, which
regard the "." in "Readme." as a part of the name,
rather than as the separator which acts as a
visible delimiter between file name and extension.

>> As an aside, why anyone would want to have a file called
>> "foo" (as opposed to than "foo.<something>") is beyond
>> my comprehension :
>
> There are many such files in the real world, examples:
>   Makefile, README, COPYING, LICENSE, NEWS, ChangeLog, ...

Yes, all of these apart from "Makefile" would benefit
enormously from having a ".txt" or ".log" extension.

And if only "Make" would expect files of type ".mak",
then we could do away with extensionless files for ever :-)

Philip Taylor