[tex-live] [OT] Re: rebuild

Michael A Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Feb 12 00:32:23 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 23:57 +0100, Karl Berry wrote:
> Naturally, I spoke too soon.  Stephan Hennig just asked me to update his
> textpath package for various special reasons.  Since Manfred is
> hopefully still asleep and/or away :), I've just done that, and started
> making the really-truly-hopefully final images yet again.  (No new
> binaries, obviously.)

I worked as a developer for a now dead internet startup in silicon
valley. We finished our product, it passed all our QA, etc.

The boss had his secretary take the CD to be pressed. She took the iso
image, and I don't know what she did to burn it - but rather than
getting the iso image to the company that did the pressing, she burned a
CD to take to be pressed, and she burned it in windows - resulting in a
8.3 all upper case file names. I think she must have mounted the image
and used some cd burner software to make a CD from the mounted image or
something.

Fortunately we caught it before shipping, but that was quite a costly
blunder (and not her blunder, she was told to do something she shouldn't
have been told to do - as she was a secretary, not a technical person.)