[tex-live] TeXLive2007.02.04 and Windows Vista

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 18:05:02 CET 2007

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> Norbert Preining wrote:

> >> Haah, probably the new security features! Maybe typing "allow" at some
> >> point would help? Or turning speech recognition on and shouting "ALLOW!"
> >> at your computer? ;-)
>
> i never could figure out the osx installation related security
> (who/what is root and which/what password to use when etc) and some
> stuff simple could not get installed so i guess apple has some rules
> as well -)

actually, windows does have a coherent security model.  bit of a
surprise to a one-time-os-researcher-cynic like me...

> > ;-)))) Phantastic. Thanks a lot for this pearl of wisdom. I will try it
> > with my not existent Vista installation. Great. If this could work ;-)
>
> as far as read about, installation on vista has more strict rules now
> (even more strict on the 64 bit version where all drivers need to be
> signed) so maybe the installer is not playing according to the rules
> (whatever these rules are)  since Lamport works at microsoft ... maybe
> he's willing to figure it out -)

hohoho.

i went on a short course about vista last week.  i was amazed at the
number of times it asked me to confirm i really wanted to do some rather
harmless things.

another thing the speaker did remark was that there's a serious shortage
of vista drivers for 64-bit machines.

i'm not even slightly surprised that texlive has problems on it.

just typical, i say.  good reason to delay spending money with
microsoft.

robin