[tex-live] ifxetex package missing from collection-xetex

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Feb 3 22:43:13 CET 2007

Hi Andreas,

  > Until August 2006 we used MiKTeX at school and at
  > home. Unfortunately MiKTeX 2.5 does not work in our school-network
  > an so we switched to TeXLive. This runs without any problems.

I've heared from Windows users that there had been problems with
MikTeX 2.5 and MikTeX 2.4 had been removed from the server before the
problems had been solved.  I suppose that 2.5 works now but I'm not a
Windows user and can only geuss.

  > At home I'm still using MiKTeX. My reason is the Update- and
  > Package-Manager. As I read here, this will be a feature in
  > TeXLive2007 and so a think a will switc h to TeXLive at home too.

No, it will not be a feature in TL-2007.  I considered it but had not
enough time to do it.  I hacked the UNIX installer some time ago in
order to install packages from the net.  It worked somehow but much
more has to be done until it is really usable.

BTW., did someone notice

  TeX-Team <texsupport at werdenfels-gymnasium.de>

in the mail header?

It's a grammar school (british) or a high school (american).  It's
really great that such a school has a TeX support team which even
maintains a mailing list.  Quite amazing!

I fear that these guys will be very disappointed when they leave
school and go to a university.  TeX support at universities is often
***much*** worse, in many cases it is even quite crappy.

Anyway, everybody is invited to join

I'm looking forward to see many young people on this list.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25