[tex-live] obsolete Latin hyphenation files

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Aug 27 00:28:56 CEST 2007

Hi Pablo,

    I have discovered just accidentally that the Latin hyphenation and
    definition files (lahyph.tex and latin.ldf) contained in the SVN
    repository are older than the ones contained in CTAN.

Thanks.  Regarding lahyph.tex, it was updated after the TL07 release,
and I didn't notice (hyphenation files are difficult).  I'll update that.

Regarding latin.ldf, isn't it part of Babel?  I don't see any specific
latin.ldf on CTAN, and the Babel on CTAN and the Babel in TL are the
same, as far as I know.

    I don't know whether other related files should be updated also,

If you know of other files I should check, please tell me.

    BTW, I don't know how the SVN repository is updated: only for bugfixes,
    for any new release on CTAN or only with programs?

In principle, any package update on CTAN should be reflected in the TL
svn repo.  Put another way, discrepancies between CTAN and TL are what
we're trying to eliminate.  (Tons of historical discrepancies remain,
but new updates on CTAN should be reflected in TL.)

Programs are harder, requiring much much more time to update than
TeX/MP/whatever packages.  In general, I do not attempt to update
program sources in svn before we are on the path to a release.

    I wonder because I'm using a SVN version that includes a devel
    version of XeTeX (but maybe the devel code is placed in TeXLive SVN
    repository).

In the particular case of XeTeX, Jonathan updates the sources in TL
"from time to time".  I'm not exactly sure how he decides :).

Thanks,