[tex-live] [tlpmgui] Installing TexLive2007

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Aug 20 21:34:44 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 11:38:26AM +0200, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 08:19:02AM +0200, Paweł Jackowski wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > >and I tried to install Tex on my computer (with Windows Vista business).
> >  > I run the program tlpmgui.exe. However, I cannot install it and it said
> > >'A problem copying files by tlpm'.
> > >Could you please help me? Thanks!
> >
> > Seems we have growing number of complains about vista runing installer.
> > Has anyone some expirience in that stuff? Siep?
>
> Yesterday I did a local test install on a Vista Business virtual
> machine as a regular user. I used the downloadable image, so any
> problems with the physical dvd wouldn't have shown up. The
> installation was fairly slow but uneventful, except:
>
> - I set a non-default value for TLroot
> - TeXLive wasn't added to the search path and had to be added
>   manually, IIRC. Other environment variables were ok.
> - The Ghostscript install was `for everybody' and required
>   administrative credentials.
>
> I could try a minimal network install with the real dvd. My Linux,
> Ubuntu Feisty, has Samba 3.0.24.

I did some more testing. Apparently, I did not remember correctly
about the searchpath, since this time it DID get modified.

Two more problems:

- at one test to a network drive, the installer got stuck for no
  apparent reason.  Another, similar network test installation did
  not get stuck. This may be general Samba- or Windows networking
  weirdness; see below.
- With the minimal scheme, the installer went crazy trying to
  generate formats which couldn't be generated, spawning more and
  more copies of pdftex, fmtutil and mktexfmt. This may have nothing
  to do with Vista or even Windows.

Privately, I try to avoid copying large amounts of data from a
Windows virtual machine to my virtual Samba network, since it very
often fails for obscure reasons.

So the only Vista-specific problem that I am sure of is that Vista
is pickier with permissions.

--
Siep Kroonenberg