[tex-live] Mktexlsr not working on texmf-local

Dr.Jan Kutylowski Jan.Kutylowski at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Wed Apr 18 17:40:19 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have complained about inability to initiate texmf-local. I would
like to thank two helpers and report on developments, which do not
seem to be fully satisfactory.

Quoting Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:

>   > 2007/4/16, Dr.Jan Kutylowski
>   > <Jan.Kutylowski at mailbox.tu-dresden.de>:
>   >> Hi,
>   >>
>   >> I have installed TExLive2007 "for all users on the system" in
>   >> Windows XP Home with SP2, where I am the only user with
>   >> administrator priviledges. Then I have created texmf-local in the
>   >> TexLive tree and copied some files into it.
>   >>
>   > Have you looked at the access permissions? It seems to me that
>   > your texmf-local is accessible only to Administrator, not to
>   > normal users.

I have replied to it, that I am the administrator, so this probably is
not the issue. But I cannot yet exclude possible mistakes in setting
up permissions by the installer.

> AFAIK texmf-local is generated during installation if it does not
> exist already.  Is *this* directory accessible?
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Í have noticed it when I switched to TeXLive 2005. This led to
question whether the TeXLive2007 installer gets confused by any
directory that is called texmf-local and is present in the path. I had
such a directory somewhere in the remnants of defunct old fpTeX tree
(of course, that is where my local files, especially fonts, were).
After I renamed it, TeXLive installed a texmf-local outside of the
actual TeX tree (I did not installed it in the default c:TexLive
2007). Now mktexlsr works on that texmf-local directory, but TeXLive
reports that this directory tree _is_ actually subsumed in the TeXLive
tree.

Preliminary conclusions? The installer seems very frail with respect
to the existence of anything called texmf-local in the path: there
should either be a warning about this, or an improvement.I find it
weird that the texmf-local tree is seen as inside the TeXLive tree by
the TeXLive system and have no idea whether I should expect further
troubles problems with it.

In ancient times I was asked by an installation program whether I want
to specify location of a texmf-local tree. Times are changing. I would
appreciate any further advice.

Jan