[tex-live] DESTDIR not working

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Sep 29 17:10:21 CEST 2006

Returning to an old thread....

On 22 Aug 2006, at 12:06 am, Karl Berry wrote:

> I installed the change (in configure and configure.in) as below.  ...

> +        # attempt to discover if srcdir = builddir.
> +        dir1=`cd $srcdir/utils/sam2p && /bin/pwd`
> +        dir2=`cd utils/sam2p && /bin/pwd`

In the (normal) case where srcdir != builddir, the second line here
causes a disconcerting (though harmless) message to be generated
during the configure process:

     ../configure: line 1: cd: utils/sam2p: No such file or directory

This occurs because the build directory utils/sam2p has not actually
been created at the time the configure script does this test, so the
cd fails (and $dir2 ends up as an empty string).

IMO, it would be good to suppress this (if only because it may
needlessly alarm people). I'd like to suggest we change this line to
read:

     dir2=`cd utils/sam2p 2>/dev/null && /bin/pwd`

Or are there portability (or other) reasons why this would be a bad
idea?

JK