[tex-live] tl doc formats

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Sep 11 04:06:23 CEST 2006

  > But some documents e.g. about font packages may even need
  > non-free fonts.  Totally apart from the rest of this thread,
  > documents that require nonfree fonts to be typeset should not be
  > present in TL.  If anyone finds any, please tell me.

As far as fonts are concerned, nonfree means that you are not allowed
to distribute the original fonts and/or you are not allowed to modify
them except for subsetting.

You are allowed to use them and give documents containing them away.
Critical are only documents which contain a complete font.

Of course, nobody would buy a font if the license does not allow him
to give a pdf file containing the font to someone else.

Markus said:

 >> But some documents e.g. about font packages may even need non-free
 >> fonts.  Because of this some documents need to be PS or
 >> PDF. Because of this DVI couldn't be the one and only used
 >> format. It only could be the prefered one.

Unless I misunderstood this message I think that he means that ps/pdf
files can contain embedded subsets of fonts which cannot be freely
distributed.  The point is that that dvi files only contain references
to fonts but not subsets of the fonts themselves which means that the
complete fonts have to be provided by TeXLive which is impossible if
the license does not allow to distribute them freely.

I do not see any problems with ps/pdf files which contain embedded
subsets of such fonts.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25