[tex-live] tl doc formats

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Sep 7 23:29:40 CEST 2006

Regarding the various doc questions.

In the past, TL compiled its own dvi doc files.  TL now uses the pdf's
from CTAN.  For various reasons, this provides better results in many
cases, and takes much less effort on my part.  Thus, I have no time or
interest in doing anything else.

David, if you or anyone cares to take on the job of producing DVI doc
files with or without source specials, they could be perhaps be included
as well, or at least distributed from the web site.

As for doc file names, I fully agree that in many cases they could be
improved (manual.pdf??!!), and anyone who cares to take on the job of
talking to authors about it will have my appreciation, for whatever that
may be worth!

karl