[tex-live] Strange license of ukhyphen

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon May 29 12:44:30 CEST 2006

> David Kastrup wrote:
> > "carefully check the results" is a bit of a toughy because 80% of
> > people get a significant number of British hyphenation patterns wrong
> > on first attempt.
>
> but to counter that, we know that 75% of statistics
> quoted on the texlive lists are not based on any data.

;-)

> are you saying the ukhyphen.tex is not good, or that
> most people don't actually know UK hyphenation rules?

the _rules_ are so perverse that simply knowing them isn't enough.  i
know the rules, but because of gaps in my classical education (i
didn't do classical greek at school) i can never be entirely sure of a
guess at hyphenation.

which is why i keep an oxford dictionary of word division in my desk
at work.  (note, i don't keep one at home...)

ukhyphen.tex isn't bad; could be made to perform better if we were
allowed to publish exception lists, but phil (iirc) won't have that.

"compatibility is the process of repeating other peoples' mistakes"
                                                 david wheeler, c.1968