[tex-live] Strange license of ukhyphen

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 29 12:25:55 CEST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> "carefully check the results" is a bit of a toughy because 80% of
>> people get a significant number of British hyphenation patterns wrong
>> on first attempt.
>>

> but to counter that, we know that 75% of statistics
> quoted on the texlive lists are not based on any data.
>
> are you saying the ukhyphen.tex is not good, or that
> most people don't actually know UK hyphenation rules?

worse: users may not even be aware of hyphenation; i once ran into a
user who praised tex's way of building paragraphs by mentioning that in
300 pages not one hyphenation was needed, which of course was due to the
fact that the us patterns were not loaded (which itself was due to the
n^{th} change in the name of us pattern files and/or some funny aliasing
and/or ...)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE