[tex-live] Strange license of ukhyphen

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Mon May 29 10:16:55 CEST 2006

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> FWIW, I had some email exchanges with Phil Taylor yesterday,
> and he is not interested in any change to that licence.
>
> I suggest that the only proper way forward is for someone
> to contact OUP afresh, get the list of hyphenated words, build the
> hyphenation patterns again, and licence them under an
> acceptable regime.

Which brings us to a different point, an idea that I had during the
weekend, anyway:  Where is the process of creating a pattern list for
TeX documented?  Is it automatable?  Are changes usually made directly
to the pattern list, or is the original word list changed and the
patterns regenerated?

I'm asking because we usually require the "sources", loosely defined as
"the preferred form for modification".  No, I don't intend to kick out
all those hyphenation patterns, even if your answer is "yes, one uses
the wordlist"; but nevertheless we should try to get as much wordlists
to some public repository in this case, and documented
pattern-generation rules.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster