[tex-live] Strange license of ukhyphen

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 27 01:15:04 CEST 2006

    This was not a Debian-specific step; ukhyphen has been excluded from
    teTeX.  I guess this was before the new license that is now on CTAN.

Right.

    But to me it seems as if, by this reasoning, it is *not* overly broad to
    "forbid" ukhyphenization, uk-hyphenization and abbreviations thereof.

To me too.

    The only thing I'm unsure about: Does the word "match" in the
    license mean that the strings are equal, or is it meant in the sense
    of a grep match?

I presume it is equal.  Otherwise, I think it would be unnecessary to
separately include both (for example) ukhyph and ukhyphen.  Indeed,
ukhyph and uk-hyph would be the only non-redundant entries.

All guesses aside, we could ask Phil his intent.  But I'd rather not.

    I would read the license as "ukhyphen1.tex or ukhyphnw.tex are
    okay".

Me too.

Best,
Karl