[tex-live] inclusion of libraries

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 24 21:03:19 CEST 2006

    Does this mean that a typical IRIX system (with whatever graphical
    interface and desktop manager is used there) uses a different way of
    managing/locating fonts?

Olaf, do you know about this level of programming on IRIX?

I will ask another IRIX friend, but he's a sysadmin, not sure if he will
know.  His machine is also running IRIX 6.5, and he confirmed fontconfig
was not installed by default, but is available through freeware.sgi.com
(and he actually had installed it from there).  He also said he has an
a reasonable O2 machine which he'd be willing to donate to us if we want
it :).

For our present purposes, the question is whether we can dynamically
link with fontconfig or whether it should be in the source tree.  I'm
inclined to say, put it in the source tree and avoid the inevitable
version problems.

BTW, even without native fonts, aren't the Unicode extensions of XeTeX
plausibly useful?  E.g., with Latin Modern OpenType?  Just wondering ...

Thanks,
Karl