[tex-live] TL2005 and windvi

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:52:12 CEST 2006

On 5/9/06, Harriet B Borton <bortonh at rpi.edu> wrote:
> Hello Karl, George and Reinhard,
>
> > On 5/8/06, Harriet B Borton <bortonh at rpi.edu> wrote:
> > > Below is a short test file, and I'm attaching the windvi log file.
> > > Among other things, the log file indicates that it can't find gs. So
> > > I manually added gs to my path, but that didn't help.
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > \documentclass{article}
> > > \usepackage{palatino}
> > > \begin{document}
> > > \section{this is a section head}
> > > Some text here.
> > > \subsection{A subsection heading}
> > > More text here.
> > > \end{document}
> > >
> > > -Harriet
>
> Thanks for giving this your attention and for your replies. I
> appreciate your help. I have to confess that I tried again to add
> "c:\gs\gs8.15\bin" to my path and it mostly works now.  I must have
> screwed up somehow the first time. But windvi doesn't behave the way
> it used to-- it used to display everything after a slight delay
> while it built the fonts. Now it builds them, but then can't find
> them at first and won't display them until after closing windvi and
> reopening.

My system does the same thing.

>[...]
> I did not select gs during install because the version (7.07) is
> old. Then after the TL install, I installed current versions of gs
> and gsview. Maybe that's why it doesn't work for me. (Does the above
> example preview properly for you? Maybe I need to look into dviout.
> Haven't heard of it before.)

Dviout appears to be actively maintained.  I think the authors are in
Japan, but there are english docs.  I got it from CTAN.  It didn't
handle your example, even though the fonts had been created by windvi,
because it wants "pplb7t" instead of "pplb8r" (different encodings).

> Perhaps if I'd installed gs *before* installing TL2005, windvi would
> have been able to find it? Seems odd that windvi would have a
> hard-wired location for gs. But if it's easy for you, could you tell
> me where you installed the current gs? (I'm reluctant to uninstall
> TL and reinstall because I did that on another computer and now I
> can't reinstall. The installer thinks it's still there and comes up
> with the "remove installation" window. But the remove procedure
> fails because it can't find some files.)

The installer makes minimal changes other than the files it installs.  Check for
environment variables.  I have TLROOT and TEXMFCNF set ATM, but I have
may have added TEXMFCNF later to work around some glitch.  [I
currently have Cygwin tetex and w32tex on the same PC (looking for
something that would format the book that was working with Y&Y TeX).
Each distro barfed on a different list of issues.  ]

I already had GS installed to "C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.53", but I
copied the files into the appropriate places in the TL tree:

C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.53\bin\* --> C:\TeXLive2005\bin\win32
C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.53\lib\* --> C:\TeXLive2005\xemtex\gslib
C:\Program Files\gs\fonts\* --> C:\TeXLive2005\xemtex\gsfonts

Then set:

GS_LIB=C:\TeXLive2005\xemtex\gsfonts;C:\TeXLive2005\xemtex\gslib

This is way too much hassle, but I was pretty sure it would work.  The
proper approach would be to check what is in the TL's ghostscript
archives and try adjusting the PATH to use the existing gs.

> Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> > ImageMagick depends on a lot of external libraries.  I think that
> > integrating it into TL consumes too much time.
>
> I can certainly understand and accept that. I was just asking
> because it was included in previous Windows TL distributions.
> >
> > I hope that TeXLive-2006 will include sam2p.
> >   http://www.inf.bme.hu/~pts/sam2p
> >
> > sam2p can convert plenty of bitmap formats to EPS or PDF.  It is
> > incredibly fast and produces extremely small files without loss of
> > quality.
>
> samp2p sounds really good!

I recommend samp2p, but the version on CTAN is old.  I compiled from
the sources on the author's site, along with his tif22 stuff.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia