[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu May 4 08:33:59 CEST 2006

On 3 May 2006, at 23:15, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>> This argument certainly does not count for me. I keep TeX alive
>> for older systems and my main system is as old as possible because
>> newer systems are generally downward compatible.
>
> I suppose that Staszek has the same problems when he prepares binaries
> which run with an ancient libc.
>
> But do you need version control on these machines?

Of, course there are many solutions and there are always workarounds.

My number of machines is not endless or even large and I wouldnot
even have room for more. As it stands now, all my machines share /usr/
local and this includes /usr/local/perforce where I keep a p4 synced
TL setup (three in fact, one for TL2003, one for TL2004 and one for
TL2005 as I do also provide older TeX versions for those who need it
(e.g. older projects that require TL2003 to compile)). This tree is
shared and so are the Makefiles and script that do the builds. All
machines can do p4 syncing so I can keep all the scripts and
makefiles the same. The only thing that differs on the machines is
for which platform is being built. If I do a "make tl2005-sync tl2005-
build" on a OS X 10.3 system ppc, I get Darwin7 ppc binaries. If I do
it on the 10.4 system intel, I get Darwin8 intel binaries.

After I have done something on one machine, I use rsync to sync /usr/
local to all others.

If I had to do p4 syncing on only one machine, it would be less
comfortable than it is now. Instead of a simple "make sync build;
rsync" I would have to do a "rsync, make sync, rsync, make build;
rsync" on various machines.