[tex-live] TeXlive infrastructure

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue May 2 18:36:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

is there some documentation on how the TeXlive infrastructure works?  Or
if not, can anybody explain me where the information for creating and
updating tpm files comes from?

In particular, I'm confused about the fonts required by psnfss: The TeX
Catalogue has one entry for them, urw-base35, but TeXlive has them in
several tpm files, one for each font family.  Now, looking at
avantgar.tpm, I find that it contains files that are currently not on
CTAN.  For example, in the first directory,

texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/avantgar/uagb8a.afm
texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/avantgar/uagbi8a.afm
texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/avantgar/uagr8a.afm
texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/avantgar/uagri8a.afm

and lots of files for virtual fonts that map Adobe names on URW names.
teTeX 3.0 doesn't have all of them, but it has other files not found on
CTAN (pagd8z.vf, pagk8z.vf and friends).

Thanks for helping me out,
Frank
--
Frank Küster