[tex-live] compilation failed

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Mon Mar 20 11:07:03 CET 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Karl Berry wrote:

> For teTeX/TeX Live (and other distributions I imagine), we cannot
> compile things "manually"; there are dozens of programs and a bunch of
> architectures, and therefore everything has to get built with standard
> Makefiles.  This is one reason why many of the programs on CTAN are not
> included.

That's clear. I just do not have any experience with building such a huge
multiplatform project as TL is.

>      Some C libraries do not contain strcasecmp
>
> Since TL does not attempt to support OS/2, this is not a problem for us.

Why not? Is there any other reason than lack of volunteers who could help?
Jun Sawataishi compiled web2c for OS/2 and Jaromir Kuben tuned it to work
smoothly. I now can copy the texmf trees from Linus to OS/2, add the
binaries, OS/2 ports of ksh and gnu*utils, set some environment variables
and it works. I have some problems with updmap. I have to add the map
files to updmap.cfg manually, updmap --enable MixedMap something.map ends
with some error message. Maybe something else needs to be set but I had no
time to examine it yet.

I do not know whether subversion for OS/2 exists, maybe someone from
NetLabs has already ported it.

Zdenek Wagner
e-mail: wagner at cesnet.cz

see also http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/