[tex-live] Annoyances

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Wed Jun 28 11:51:54 CEST 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> Not to start another flame thread, but that may interest some people. In
> attempt to compile web2c with MingW (which I consider an interesting initiative,
> contrarily to Cygwin), I noticed a huge annoyance.
>
> I tried to grep for something in a large bunch of files... MinGW grep
> seems uninterruptible, either with Ctrl-C or Ctrl-Break in the XP
> console. This kind of problem does not happen when programs are natively
> compiled under Windows.
>
> So I guess that  justifies the reason _not_  to rely on those adaptation
> layers. If you want Unix,  then put Unix on your  PC box, but if you run
> Windows, prefer natively compiled programs.

I have just tried the devnag preprocessor version 2.14 which was compiled
by mingw version 3.4.2 in Windows 98 and the test was run in Windows 2000.
Ctrl-C works fine.

I admit that my version of mingw is quite old, at that time it was
distributed as a single file. I did not manage to make newer version of
mingw working, I do not know which files I really need and since I am not
a Windows user, I just want to compile devnag for others, I decided not to
read the lengthy documentation.