[tex-live] OT: Why use Windows [was: Re: Perl for Windows]

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 13:20:42 CEST 2006

On 6/21/06, Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Juergen Fenn wrote:
> > The main problem is not Windows, but the omnipresent MS
> > Office on Windows systems. But this is really OT, except for that it
> > shows how important a Windows version of TL really is.
> >
> Curious view, to my mind. If you use Office, why
> do you also want TeX? don't people use TeX
> because they cannot bear Office?

Some Win32 users edit TeX files with Word, use PowerPoint for
presentations, and Excel for plots. In the Win 3.1 days, Y&Y's
dviwindo let you paste equations straight into PPT, but now with Win32
and TL they make png images of equations for use in PPT, whch is OK
because current hardware can handle 300 dpi images.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia