[tex-live] OT: Why use Windows

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Thu Jun 22 10:07:00 CEST 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> * Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> writes:
>
>     > The same is probably true between different versions of MS Office.
>
> Sorry, no. Compatibility with MS Office is at least ensured. Ok, you
> can't expect to load files produced by version 11 with version 10
> without a glitch. But onward is ok.

Not always. A year ago I received a text in Hindi written in MS Word with
Arial-Unicode. I tried to open it in the new computer with the latest
WinXP and Office with all Service Packs applied and did not managed. I
tried in several other computers but nothing help. Finally I was able to
open it in Linux in OpenOffice.org 1.1.3.

Zdenek Wagner
e-mail: wagner at cesnet.cz

see also http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
         http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz