[tex-live] Perl for Windows

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jun 16 23:15:06 CEST 2006

  > [1] _The only reliable way is to provide the version you need and
  > to hide it from the rest of the system._

Is this possible at all without changing the name of the executable?

  >> TL prepends the path/to/binaries to PATH and sets the environment
  >> variable PERL5LIB accordingly.

  > I may have done that in the past and I agree that it was
  > wrong. However in this case you are using an old version of TL.

It's TeXLive-2005.

  >> The Perl version which had been installed before TeXLive has set
  >> the value of PERL5LIB somewhere else rather than in the
  >> environment variables dialog box, maybe in the registry.  Don't
  >> know how Windos works.

  > There is nothing secret in the registry. It behaves much like the
  > environment, except that it is system and lan wide for any
  > user/machine.  It is a distributed database.

In settings->system->advanced->environment I see the value of PERL5LIB.
When I say "set" at the DOS prompt, I see the value twice, once with
slashes and once with backslashes (or vice versa, I can look into it
on monday again).

  >> It should be sufficient to add texmf*/scripts to PERL5LIB if Perl
  >> is installed already.

  > And cross your fingers and pray for this stuff to work. At some
  > point, texlive supported the texdoctk program that needed perl +
  > tk + the right extensions ... Are you sure that because you find
  > perl.exe on the client machine, you will find also everything you
  > need ? See my [1] point.

I understand, though I still wonder how it can be accomplished to hide
TeXLive's Perl reliably from the rest of the system.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25