[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Fri Jun 16 00:42:17 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

>     a collection of packages related to linguistics, phonetics, law and
>     the humanities would be of interest.
>
> I don't object to having a collection-humanities.

That's what I meant to suggest.

> However, I have to reiterate that I think this splitting consumes an
> awful lot of time for an awful small gain.  In fact, I rather think
> it will cause more problems (missing packages) than it will solve.
> People always want smaller downloads, but they also always want the
> packages they use, because of course *those* are critically
> important :).  Anyway ...

To tell the truth, *I* could do without *any* math packages at all, I
have never ever used amslatex etc. I am well aware that I represent a
minority among LaTeX users, but I have had private mails from users
writing theses in Psychology, the Law, or Economics, I think they
would be quite happy if they could chose a collection for the social
sciences and the humanities while installing or even before
downloading. I think the number of ConTeXt users us smaller than
theirs, and there is a separate scheme for context in TL.

Regards,
Jürgen.